alternate englands - belated questions

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Feb 14 03:04:32 EST 2005

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Virginia Preston wrote:

> Paul wrote:

> > The battle of Agincourt was in 1415, less than a century after
> > Janet's world split from Cat's, and had root causes going back
> > over three hundred years. It doesn't seem unlikely on the face of
> > it that the battle might have occurred in both worlds. (I'd have
> > been less inclined to believe that it ended the same way in both
> > worlds, mind you.)
>
> I can't remember what caused Janet's world to split off?

I think it's been mentioned already, further back in this thread: in
Janet's world, people started developing in physical science and
machinery and stuff during the fourteenth century, instead of
metaphysical science and magic.

> <snip>
> > Mm. Except that cats can do magic as well, and dragons and
> > mermaids and giant eels maybe (or maybe they just *are* magic).
>
> It's not clear, is it? IIRC, Throgmorten can't undo the sealing
> spell on Christopher's room by himself, and presumably Temple cats
> and mermaids can't (or don't realise to) do magic that would stop
> wizards killing them.

Well, Throgmorten does the thing where he grows extra heads and arms,
and he can shred basic-level protective spells (but not more powerful
ones); but either of those could be inherent magicalness rather than
magic he does.

What about the cats in 'The Magicians of Caprona'? I forget whether
they actually help with the magic-doing, and if so in what way.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."