alternate englands - belated questions

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Sun Feb 13 07:18:55 EST 2005

I wonder if Waterloo is perceived as crucial because there is a perception
that the outcome of the battle of Waterloo was an unlikely outcome. It's
easier to see the butterfly effect in such cases: what happened because of
the lost horseshoe nail, or the bad egg in the breakfast that gave Napoleon
indigestion... whereas a more predictable outcome seems harder to change or
prevent, and therefore less imagination is expended on wondering out all the
"what ifs" after the battle as well as before. I am less and less sure I'm
making any sense at all.