alternate englands - belated questions

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Sun Feb 13 05:25:36 EST 2005

I think you've made very good points.
I wouldn't want to suggest that my favorite author may have possibly made a
mistake. But I do think that worlds would have to split off over something
more significant than a battle won or lost: winning or losing the battle
would be just a side-effect, a ripple in the water, not the actual event
that caused the split. The actual event could be something metaphysical that
would be hard to define in physical terms, for instance: a world shifting
one notch Naywards. Or perhaps the physical and metaphysical aspects are
linked, and, like the chicken and the egg, it's hard to say which came
first. For instance, if all the people in the world decided to hop on one
leg at the precise same instant in time, I'm sure that would be physically
significant enought to cause a metaphysical shift; but then again the
prelude to such an unlikely event would in itself be a metaphysical shift.
I'm not sure I'm making any sense.
Gili