OT Spot of Greek Translation for RPG

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 21:15:53 EST 2005

I wrote:
> I've a fancy to call him Bonehead, but in
Greek, --cephalus by
> analogy to Bucephalus. Does anyone know what
this should/could be?
I wrote
> I've a fancy to call him Bonehead, but in
Greek, --cephalus by
> analogy to Bucephalus. Does anyone know what
this should/could be?>

Paul replied
<Speaking as someone who doesn't know Greek but
does know how to look
up Greek-derived prefixes in a dictionary, my
guess is
"Osteocephalus".

("osteo-", from the Greek 'osteon', "bone")

You might also like to consider "Xylocephalus"
('xulon', "wood"), or
"Petrocephalus" ('petros', "stone").>

Thanks Paul, the thing is I want to avoid any of
those translation absudities. Hoping I've not
told this story here before; a punky mate of mine
was into Swedish metal type bands of the type
known as "Swedish Crust" -- as in crusties, tatty
dreadlocked types in torn black clothes with dogs
on string. He booked one of these bands into a
local pub here in Sheffield and, in honour of the
occasion, decided to get a T shirt saying
"Swedish Crust" in Swedish. He went out and got a
dictionary for the translation -- ignoring the
misgivings of me among others. So, on the night
the band were heartily amused to be presented
with T shirts bearing the legend "Swedish
Pastry". Thus, while your suggestions sound
perfectly sound to me I'll wait and see if a real
Greek  speaker/scholar comes by.