alternate englands: when?

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Wed Feb 9 06:22:07 EST 2005

>> Which reminds me of Poul Anderson's Operation X series[1] world,
>
> As moderately well-imitated by Harry Turtledove in _The Case of the
> Toxic Spell Dump_. (Oddly, very few people seem to have read both.)

I've only read one book in Anderson's series, and I can't remember the
title, but I don't recall its going anywhere near England.  OTOH that
world is referred to in Anderson's novel of a 17th-century alternate
England, "A Midsummer Tempest" - in which all Shakespeare's plays are
literally true (and some of Shakespeare's anachronisms have borne
technological fruit, so they already have steam power, for example).
This is a multiverse in which analogous worlds are not at the same date,
BTW - the mid 17th Century of the Shakespeare world [*] appears to match
up with the early 20th century of the Operation X world.

Toxic Spell Dump also doesn't go near England, but mentions us early on
- America is no longer a feudal society since independence from England
:-)

Philip

[*] Not to be confused with Shakespeare's Planet, by Simak.  Which is
not really relevant except to introduce Simak's own multiverse, of which
I don't know very much, except that "Enchanted Pilgrimage" is set in it,
and differences between worlds are much to great for there to be an
alternate England.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432