julia and roger analogues

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Feb 8 22:21:19 EST 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) wrote:

> Interesting theory.  But I thought it was explicitly stated in
> Charmed Life that 9-lived enchanters happen whenever someone has no
> analogues.

But remember that it's also explicitly stated in 'Charmed Life' that
at least one of the nine-lifed enchanters therein did have at least
one analogue.

> I would also cite Christopher Chant himself.  Cosimo and Miranda had
> a happy marriage, afaict, once they'd moved to Japan; but in their
> native England they had a pretty disastrous one!  They were so
> different, from such different backgrounds, that the chance of an
> analogous marriage taking place and lasting long enough to bear
> fruit in even one other world is pretty low.

I don't know about that. He wanted her money, she wanted his social
position, they both wanted a child they could be vicariously
successful through - that sort of thing is distressingly common,
surely?

Anyway, it's established in 'Charmed Life' that social circumstances
can vary wildly across worlds - for all we know, all the alternate
Cosimos and Mirandas were from similar backgrounds, and 12A was the
only one where their match was at all unlikely.

> If 9 lives require _all nine_ analogues to be conceived but not
> born, the probability becomes vanishingly small.

Why? Because the odds of all nine analogues being conceived in the
first place is so small? But you go on to say:

> There also seems to be another piece of related worlds magic going
> on. Are Gwendolen and Janet genetically identical?  Even if their
> parents were, it takes pretty strong magic to ensure that G and J
> will be genetically any closer than sisters.  And more magic to
> ensure that the analogous offspring will be conceived and born at
> essentially the same time.

The second statement partly answers the first, I think. If there is
something at work making sure that analogues happen, then the odds of
all nine analogues being conceived but not born essentially reduces to
the much better odds of all nine analogues dying so early.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."