alternate englands: when?

Ian Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Tue Feb 8 12:46:09 EST 2005

There's also Kim Newman's "Anno Dracula" series. The first one is set
during the reign of Victoria, the second during the First World War,
the third in the 1950s (but that one's in Italy).

The premise of these is that Dracula was not defeated by Van Helsing's
group and went on to become the Prince Consort after the death of
Albert and then an advisor to the Kaiser. These books are
Thursday-Next-ish in their conflagration of scores of literary and
historical figures into the plots of the novels. The first is based
around the Jack the Ripper killings - which are now being perpetrated
by . . . . that would be giving it away, now wouldn't it (although you
know very early on who it is, and if you know "Dracula" you might be
able to guess).

I'm engrossed in these right now.

widdy