julia and roger analogues

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Feb 7 21:50:56 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Allison Marles wrote:

> The discussion of how come julia and roger aren't 9-lived came up
> recently and I thought the generally accepted conclusion before was
> that there was more than a lack of analogues to being a 9-lived
> enchanter. In reference to Cat, we find out that Janet did have a
> little brother but he died prior to or when he was born or
> something.  So maybe you need to have all your analogues die at
> birth rather than just not exist. Clearly just dying is not enough
> otherwise the last analogue alive would end up with 9 lives at some
> point (unless they all die simultaneously, which might suggest too
> much similarity between worlds).

Yes. I think the trick is that the analogues have to
(a) exist, so that their lives are created; and
(b) die very early, before they've actually had a chance to use their
    lives themselves.

That leaves their unfulfilled lives hanging around, which then get
attached (or attach themselves, or whatever the process is) to the
remaining person most like the person they were meant for.

The second point is just as important as the first.
If an analogue gets too old (where "too old" may be as little as days
or even minutes - before this discussion goes much further, somebody
should really get around to looking up how old Janet's brother was)
then they are considered to have lived their life, or their life
becomes too firmly attached to them to wander off and look for a new
person, or whatever, and when they die their life does whatever it is
lives usually do when they're over.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."