julia and roger analogues

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Feb 7 13:53:47 EST 2005

The discussion of how come julia and roger aren't 9-lived came up
recently and I thought the generally accepted conclusion before was that
there was more than a lack of analogues to being a 9-lived enchanter.
In reference to Cat, we find out that Janet did have a little brother
but he died prior to or when he was born or something.  So maybe you
need to have all your analogues die at birth rather than just not exist.
Clearly just dying is not enough otherwise the last analogue alive would
end up with 9 lives at some point (unless they all die simultaneously,
which might suggest too much similarity between worlds).

I think there could be hundreds of ways for analogues not to exist since
in any world where someone died before they had children, the effect
generations later would be a huge number of people who didn't exist. I
always found exactly how analogues were determined to be a bit vague
since no one ever directly explains how they're created or whatever.

Allison