alternate englands: when?

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 13:34:05 EST 2005

Philip wrote
<I don't think it's quite that simple.  Someone
with no analogues in the
Related Worlds is a 9-lived enchanter.  If
analogues have the same
ancestry in all worlds, Chrestomanci's kids
should also have no
analogues.  And yet there's no suggestion that
Julia and Roger are
multi-lived, let alone powerful enchanters.
After all, before they
found Cat they were thinking of looking off-world

for the next enchanter
to be Chrestomanci after Christopher.

So I think that part of the related worlds magic
(that which keeps
languages together, for example) tries to throw
up analogues of people
in other worlds from different ancestry. if the
same ancestry isn't
available, and only if it fails do you get the
9-lived enchanter.>

Philip, this came up last year, irrc you were
offline for quite a while so probably missed it.
Here's what I wrote on the subject (24.11.'04 in
thread "Re: new member":

<What I think is that to have nine lives it is
not
enough to have no analogues, what is needed is to
have been one of nine analogues at birth, eight
of which were stillborn or died shortly
afterwards (I'm pretty sure that's stated in CL).
This is very rare, firstly because each analogue
is necessarily born from the matching analogue
parents and they may not exist or if they exist
not have gotten together in each of the worlds
and secondly because it must be unusual for eight
to die and one survive.

The birth of a Nine Lived Enchanter ought to be
one of the things that causes the worlds'
histories to diverge, as this unique individual
will work changes. Christopher Chant marries
someone from another world* and their children,
Roger and Julia, I believe, have no analogues so
their very existance changes things............
that's how I see it anyway.

*Millie, whose analogues, if any, will not be
able
to meet their own Christophers and thus may have
children with someone else.>

=====
Ven