alternate englands: when?

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Mon Feb 7 11:55:47 EST 2005

> > -- Charmed Life is contemporary, right?
> Surely not - I had it down as Edwardian, with Lives of Christopher Chant
> Victorian (say the 1880s).

But Janet, whose world is parallel, and a part of the same series, is clearly
from a contemporary England and comments at some length on the differences in
the culture and technology. She didn't *time* travel. All of the worlds in
the same series (series A) are the same age, and the dates would be the same.
Barring the ones that never adopted the Gregorian calandar, but the worlds are
still the same actual age, even if the counting is off. The technological and
social development went off on a different track than in our world, but 1980 is
still 1980.

I get something of the same sort of reasoning on the Harry Potter lists where
the fans assume that because the wizarding world appears technologically
backward and "old-fashioned", it has to be socially backward as well, with the
whole one-income families and wives firmly kept at home. Completely forgetting
that witches are people of power and were probably "liberated" in a de facto
sense before wizarding Seclusion was established in 1692, and liberated by
statute within a few months after the first time a wizard tried to keep them from
doing something they wanted to do purely on the basis of being female, after
that.

Alternate technology is still technology, and aesthetics are not social
consiousness, however tempting it is to assume that if p=q, then s=t.