alternate englands: when?

deborah deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Feb 7 08:46:21 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

|Deborah:
|
|>Does anyone know definitive dates for several alternate Englands?
|>
|>-- Joan Aiken's Jacobite world (I call it around 1790 by _Cold Shoulder
|>Road_, assuming lifespans of historical people were about the same as in
|>the real world)
|
|Not definitive, but it's definitely later than that.  In the
|beginning of Black Hearts in Battersea there's a note saying it's set
|near the beginning of the nineteenth century, and there's a family
|tree of the Dukes of Battersea (p. 106 of the Yearling pb - chapter
|6) which shows Justin as born 1818.

Oh!  I'm surprised.  I started counting off from James II of England in
real life based on all the Jacobite/Hanoverian plotting.

This makes my life much easier for a story I was planning on writing. ;)

-deborah
--
"Tai Chi works wonders when I feel like killing things.
Of course, so does actually killing things."