alternate englands: when?

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Mon Feb 7 03:53:25 EST 2005

Hallie, replying to Deborah:

>> Does anyone know definitive dates for several alternate Englands?
>>
>> -- Joan Aiken's Jacobite world (I call it around 1790 by _Cold
>> Shoulder Road_, assuming lifespans of historical people were about
>> the same as in the real world)
>
> Not definitive, but it's definitely later than that.  In the
> beginning of Black Hearts in Battersea there's a note saying it's set
> near the beginning of the nineteenth century, and there's a family
> tree of the Dukes of Battersea (p. 106 of the Yearling pb - chapter
> 6) which shows Justin as born 1818.

Not being a great fan of this world, I hadn't realised it was so late.
But I do remember one reference in one of the books (Whispering
Mountain?) to a past event in 1802

Let's add Sorcery and Cecelia to the list, which I seem to recall is set
in 1817 (my copy isn't to hand, so I can't look it up)

These could get silly, if we're not careful!  "A Transatlantic Tunnel,
Hurrah!" is another contemporary one, isn't it...

Philip.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432