alternate englands: when?

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Feb 7 02:26:23 EST 2005

Deborah:

>Does anyone know definitive dates for several alternate Englands?
>
>-- Joan Aiken's Jacobite world (I call it around 1790 by _Cold Shoulder
>Road_, assuming lifespans of historical people were about the same as in
>the real world)

Not definitive, but it's definitely later than that.  In the
beginning of Black Hearts in Battersea there's a note saying it's set
near the beginning of the nineteenth century, and there's a family
tree of the Dukes of Battersea (p. 106 of the Yearling pb - chapter
6) which shows Justin as born 1818.

Hallie (currently reading The Witch of Clatteringshaws)