[DWJ] With trepidation...

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Thu Dec 22 11:26:43 EST 2005

Well done Charlie for a splendid article!

> already spotted a few typos, which I'm saving up for later correction,

The only obvious typo was in the paragraph on Chrestomanci:  "So far
they six in number."  This sentence no verb!

> but I don't *think* there are any errors of fact. If there are, I'm
> sure someone will be kind enough to tell me!

On the subject of Chrestomanci, you refer to "use of a magical school
setting long before J K Rowling."  This comparison is often made, but is
there really a magical school anywhere in the Chrestomanci books?  I
mean in the Jill Murphy sense [*], as there is in the Harry Potter books
- there is obviously formal tuition in magic in both Charmed Life and
Lives, and the latter is within a school context.  (In Magicians of
Caprona, by contrast, the Montana kids go to school for a regular
education, but learn magic at home.)

I'm not sure whether this really counts as an error of fact, but maybe
the paragraph ought to be re-worded slightly.

[*] I'd not previously made the connection, but "The Worst Witch", the
earliest book I know of to use the full Harry Potter school story
formula, though written in 1967, was actually published in 1974, only
three years before Charmed Life.

Oh yes.  I can't check until I get home, but I thought "A Sudden Wild
Magic" was published in 1992, not 1996.  I'm pretty certain my brother
had his Avonova paperback of this before 1996, anyway.  Was 1996 the
first UK edition, or something?

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432