Castle in the Air (was Homeward Bounders (was fire and hemlock people))

Colin Fine colin at kindness.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 25 11:44:43 EDT 2005

Kyra Jucovy wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>

>>Colin Fine wrote:

>>>After I last reread HMC (probably 3 or 4 years ago) I went on to reread
>>>CitA and I could not get beyond a couple of pages. I just didn't want to
>>>read any further.
>>
>>Have you any idea why?  I've tried on and off to work out what it is about
>>that book that doesn't catch me -- if that makes sense -- and I can't ever
>>pin it down, so I'd welcome suggestions.
>>
>>Minnow
>

> Isn't CitA very, well, slight?  I have to say that I think it's the
> slightest of DWJ's books, or at least her books for not incredibly young
> children.  It feels quite flimsy and like there isn't much there.  It's a
> fun read, and it definitely works for me as a fun read when that's what I
> want, but if I want anything more complicated than that, it's definitely
> not the book I would pick.
>
> Of course, it may well be the case that the rest of y'all are having more
> complicated problems with it, but that would be my suggestion ;-).
>
> 						---Kyra
>

> --

No, there's more to it than that (though I can't remember what until I
go home and look - I'll still be in Edinburgh for another week and a
half). I definitely started rereading it and stopped because I didn't
want to read it any further. The one element I remember was that I was
rereading it because it was a sequel to HMC, and it started off
somewhere else entirely; but that's obviously not enough reason to have
given up on it. For some reason I went "I can't be bothered with this"
and put it down.

Colin