fire and hemlock people

Fri Aug 19 14:41:41 EDT 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:16:47 -0400 (EDT), deborah wrote:

>Some thoughts I've recently had, prompted by a comment to the effect of
>'there are Fire and Hemlock people and Archer's Goon people, and never
>the twain shall meet'.  Or more, nobody has both of those as favorite
>books.  (Is this true in our readership?)

No.  They are two of my top five favorites.  (Also _Hexwood_, _Howl's Moving
Castle_, and _Time of the Ghost_.  Make whatever you may of that.)

>But Fire and Hemlock, which I've never been fond of, is also all about
>the play with mythic structures.  Is Tom more like Tam Lin or Thomas the
>Rhymer, Polly wonders, and in the end she has to both use and reject
>everything she's learned from books to save the day.  HMC's Sophie also
>has to both use and reject what she's learned from books.  Incorporation
>and rejection of archetypes all at once; kinda subversive, kinda
>hegemonic.
>
>So the reason I don't like F&H can't be that it's structured that
>differently, because it isn't.  I like Hexwood (though it's not a
>favorite), so it's not the fluctuating time streams.  In fact, F&H might
>be one of DWJ's more comprehensible books for older readers.  She does
>rather help you along with understanding what's going on, at least until
>the climax.

I don't know about others who aren't fond of it--not being one--but it
strikes me that whatever it is might be determined by looking at some of the
other facets of your favorites as well.  I like _Archer's Goon_ for more or
less the same reason you do; does that mean that what I like about it is my
primary reason for liking anything?  Maybe what you should be considering is
something lower down the taxonomic tree, like character interaction.  I'm
not entirely sure why I like _F&H_ myself.  Every reason I've come up with
turns out to be not true...or at least, not Truth.

Melissa Proffitt