Squoily

Juliette Curtis juliette at harvestroad.com
Thu Aug 18 04:06:47 EDT 2005

"....sheer mass of words the English language has (accumulated)..."

James Murray, editor of the first edition of the Oxford English Dictionay, said the English language has a clearly defined core and no discernable outer edges.

My Dad was discussing English with a friend from Iran. The friend said "What is the point of a language with so many words that nobody can know all of them?" My Dad said "That is the glory of English." The friend had a valid point but I agree with my Dad  :-)

Juliette