Good day for authors

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 17 23:56:10 EDT 2005

Now Minnow, let's not be snobby about alliterative verse. The best
example, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, clearly lends itself to the
synonyms invented for poetry theory, with all those lush descriptive
passages and 57 words for "green". That being said, I think the
causation is actually the other way around - the richness of available
synonyms making poetry possible rather than the reverse. I don't think
one can actually attribute all those waves of invasions that shaped the
language to literary desire, although it's a nice image to think of
poets leading the invasions, crying "one more synonym!"

Robyn