Laurel's hunting ground -- major spoilers for F&H.

Juliette Curtis juliette at harvestroad.com
Tue Aug 2 22:15:47 EDT 2005

Where does Laurel find her victims? Is it possible that she hunts only
within her own family, including lovers and family-by-marriage? If so,
what does this say about Sebastian's motives and Polly's fate?

Laurel and Morton "pay a tithe to hell" in return for their immortality.
It's a sacrifice, and it's private family business. I suggest that the
victim has to be one of the family -- the tithe sacrified by the family
-- and that random strangers are not as valuable to the family and are
therefore not eligible for the tithe. Laurel says some victims have
stronger lives than others -- some are more valuable than others.

Seb told Polly that Morton Leroy had been married to Laurel before he
married Seb's mother. Then, after the death of Seb's mother, Morton
married Laurel again. Presumably Seb's mother was Laurel's previous
victim, and it was her funeral that Polly and Nina gatecrashed. People
sometimes do remarry the same people after a divorce -- I have an aunt
and uncle who did so -- but it's unusual. Do Laurel and Morton have a
policy of marrying/seducing other people in order to draw them into the
family and make them eligible for the tithe? The victims (or potential
victims) we know of are Tom Lynn, Thomas Piper, Leslie, Sebastian,
Morton, Polly's grandfather, and Sebastian's mother. All except Thomas
Piper and Polly's grandfather are known to be tied by love or marriage
to the LeRoy family, and it's just not specified one way or the other
about those two. I think the evidence is pretty strong.

And what about Polly and Seb? Seb wanted to marry Polly -- he wanted to
be "sure of her" before she had a chance to meet other men at college.
He doesn't behave as though he loves her. He just wants to get hold  of
her, to own her, to draw her into the family, and his father tells him
that he's clever for doing it. Polly is already distantly related to the
LeRoy's because she is a granddaughter of a previous victim. Now Seb is
trying to pull her away from Tom, but is there also something more
sinister going on? Will she be the next female victim -- the next
payment for Laure's life? The next female sacrifice is not due for
another 72 years, but suppose Polly were to acquire a certain amount of
immortality by joining the Leroy family? She would still be in the
family next time the sacrifice is due and her strength of purpose would
make her a very valuable sacrifie......

Juliette