Norah Lofts- yes

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Wed Apr 27 03:45:52 EDT 2005

Ania asked:

> Today I had the opportunity to grab a whole load of books by Norah
> Lofts.  They seem to be mostly historical romances and sagas, all
> paperbacks form 1970s or thereabouts. Should I? I vaguely remember
> reading something by her (Madselin?) years ago. Amazon isn't very
> helpful, possibly because most of her stuff seems to be out of print,
> so there is little in the way of readers' reviews.
>
> Anyway, they are holding them for me until I decide. 'They' being the
> local recycling centre, which collects unsold books from charity shops
> and pulps them- but not before letting me rummage through them! I then
> buy the results of rummagings for 60 pence a kilo! What a bizarre
> concept- I have never bought books by weight (although I heard of
> books by the yard...)

I read them, though not as enthusiastically as I do Heyer.  Lofts' books
are more wide-ranging in period than those of Heyer; they are _much_
darker than Heyer's romances and many have tragic endings.

The ones I like best are those that follow buildings or places, and tell
the stories of the many generations of people who live there.  The house
trilogy (The Town House, The House at Old Vine, The House at Sunset) and
"Bless this House" are particularly good examples.

And then there are the spices:  Silver Nutmeg and Scent of Cloves (which
go together, being set in the Spice Islands about a generation apart)
and Crown of Aloes (16th Century Spain, IIRC).  CoA was the first Lofts
I read.

That said, there are others that I don't like.  But my advice is: Try
them!

Philip.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432