OT: childhood book help

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Thu Apr 21 05:18:06 EDT 2005

At 06:22 PM 21/04/2005, Roger Burton West wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 10:45:58AM +1000, Emma Comerford wrote:
> >Bowing to the collective wisdom of this list, I wish to ask if anyone can
> >help me find a book I remember from my childhood. I'm afraid I don't
> >remember much, except it was a fantasy, set in an alternate world and
> >hexagons or pentagons (something multi sided anyway) were magical or
> >important somehow.
>
>That sounds rather like Tim Zahn's _Triplet_; though it's more SF than
>fantasy, it does have magic (or at least demon-summoning), and shapes
>are _very_ important. (And I don't know how old you are (and I'm not
>asking), but it came out in 1987.)
>
> >I think the protagonist was a boy of about 10-13 years.
>
>But that's not _Triplet_.

I can see the period of time would help! I would have read this in the late
1980s/early 1990s, although I don't think it was a new book. Definitely a
boy, and definitely fantasy, as in escaping magically to another world -
which means Gili's suggestions are out too. Although I'm impressed that we
already have three books with shapes.

Thanks!