Chrestomanci thought - no spoilers

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 18 07:13:19 EDT 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 liril at gmx.net wrote:

> On http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/
> in the "Ask the author" section there was a question concerning a
> female Chrestomanci, which DWJ answered. I think it was along the
> lines of what Paul wrote, but I don't remember it exactly. I think
> she said there might be one in the future...

Phear my leet google skillz!

    You wanted to know whether there has ever been a female
    Chrestomanci, and the answer is no, not yet, not in that world.
    It is a much more old fashioned world than ours and Chrestomanci
    is a government appointment. No government in that world would
    give the post to a woman. Pure prejudice, because I am sure there
    are female nine-lifed enchanters too. However there must come a
    day when a female is the only enchanter available - nine-lifed
    enchanters are very rare - and then the government would be forced
    to appoint her.

http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/answerslast3.htm

Paul
--