Chrestomanci thought - no spoilers

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Apr 17 09:45:49 EDT 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Ian Riddell wrote:

> I've never seen a reference to a female Chrestomanci, or a reference
> to a "ban" or tendency toward or away from a female Chrestomanci.

It would depend, in the first instance, on the existance of a female
nine-lifed enchanter. There's been no mention of that topic, either,
although enchantresses of lesser stripe have appeared (Christopher's
mother was one).

> I wonder what the possibilities of a female Chrestomanci after Cat
> (or before Gabriel, I suppose) are . . .

I'm pretty sure they'd have mentioned it if any of Gabriel's
predecessors had been female. Considering the old-fashioned attitudes
in Chrestomanci's world, it would have been singularly noteworthy.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."