DWJ F&H heroic ideal essay

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Wed Apr 13 04:31:21 EDT 2005

  For Rene and anyone else who's interested, here's a critical DWJ bibliography I've put together. It's not quite comprehensive, but most things are here, I think (I'd be interested to know of significant additions). I've included books which give DWJ more than a passing mention, as well as books and articles specifically about her. Also, critical articles she's written about her own work or subjects obviously related to it. I haven't included reviews of her books, though.

  It strikes me looking at this list just how short it still is, really, once you take out the individual articles from Exciting and Exacting Wisdom (which I haven't listed separately). Also, how much of it is written either by DWJ herself or by members of this list!

  Sorry about the wonky formatting of this post, btw. That'll teach me to use Rich Text (I only did it to keep the italics).

    Attebery,  Brian. Strategies of Fantasy. Bloomington and Indianapolis: Indiana University Press, 1992.

    Butler, Charles. Four British Fantasists the Children's Fantasy Fiction of Penelope Lively, Alan Garner, Diana Wynne Jones, and Susan Cooper. Methuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press, 2005?? (forthcoming)

    Gross, Ros Kepel. "Diana Wynne Jones: an Overview." http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/rosgross.htm.

    Jones, Diana Wynne. "The Shape of the Narrative in The Lord of the Rings." 87-107 in Robert Giddings, ed. J.R.R. Tolkien: This Far Land. London: Vision, 1983.

    ---. "Diana Wynne Jones." [Something About the Author Autobiography Series, Volume 7.] http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/autobiog.htm.

    ---. "The Heroic Ideal - A Personal Odyssey." The Lion and the Unicorn 13, no. 1 (1989): 129-40.

    ---. "Heroes." 1992. http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/heroes.htm.

    ---. "Inventing the Middle Ages." [Lecture delivered at Nottingham University, 1997.] http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/medieval.htm (9 June 2004).

    ---. "The Profession of Science Fiction: Answers to Some Questions." 1997. http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/questions.html. (25 February, 2001).

    ---. "Article from The Medusa." http://suberic.net/dwj/medusa.html.

    ---. "The Magic of Narnia." http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/91955/102-5212857-2254559.

    ---. "Birthing a Book." The Horn Book (July/August 2004): 379-93.

    Jones, Nicolette. "Fantasy Matches How our Brains are Made." [Interview with Diana Wynne Jones.] The Times. 26 March 2003.

    Mendlesohn, Farah. "Toward a Taxonomy of Fantasy."  Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts 13, no. 2 (2002): 169-83.

    ---. Diana Wynne Jones and the Children's Fantastic Tradition. London: Routledge, 2005. (forthcoming)

    Nikolajeva, Maria. Children's Literature Comes of Age: toward a new aesthetic. New York and London: Garland, 1996.

    Nikolajeva, Maria. "Fairy Tale and Fantasy: From Archaic to Postmodern." Marvels & Tales: Journal of Fairy-Tale Studies 17, no. 1 (2003): 138-56.

    Rahn, Suzanne. Rediscoveries in Children's Literature. New York and London: Garland Publishing, 1995.

    Ridge, Judith. "Diana Wynne Jones 1992 Interview." http://www.misrule.com.au/dwj92_1.html to http://www.misrule.com.au/dwj92_6.html.

    Rosenberg, Teya. "Magical Realism and Children's Literature: Diana Wynne Jones's Black Maria and Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children as a Test Case." Papers 11, no. 1 (2001): 14-25.

    Rosenberg, Teya et al, eds. Diana Wynne Jones: an exciting and exacting wisdom. New York: Peter Lang, 2002.

    Rumbold, Margaret. "Taking the Subject Further." Papers 7, no. 2 (1997): 16-28.

    Stephens, John. Language and Ideology in Children's Fiction. London and New York: Longman, 1992.

    Sullivan, C.W. III. "Traditional Ballads and Modern Children's Fantasy: Some Comments on Structure and Intent." Children's Literature Association Quarterly  11 (1986): 145-47.

    Waterhouse, Ruth. "Which Way to Encode and Decode Fiction?" Children's Literature Association Quarterly 16 no.1 (1991): 2-6.