word order

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Wed Apr 13 04:14:46 EDT 2005

Minnow wrote:

> BTW, obDWJ and getting this back where I think it started, word order in
> English and in particular the order in which adjectives ought to happen,
> DWJ points out that it can be very effective as an attention-grabber if
> one deliberately uses adjectives in an unfamiliar order and makes the
> reader go "eh?" occasionally.  She says she does it on purpose
> sometimes, but I haven't found any examples on a quick skim.

I must admit I can't think of any examples.  I've just re-read Homeward Bounders and I still can't remember whether Jamie describes his new suit as "a nice bright dark red" or "a nice dark bright red".  But I've always liked the oxymoronic juxtaposition of adjectives there, like the "bright black ring" around the bathtub in (?) the girls' bathroom in TotG.

Philip

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432