cats, wives, St Ives, movie meet

Colin Fine colin at kindness.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 12 19:43:19 EDT 2005

Roger Burton West wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 04:56:02PM +0100, Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) wrote:
>

>>Is there a St Ives in Wales?  My road atlas lists only those in Cambridgeshire, Cornwall and Dorset (Just outside Ringwood, and no, I didn't know it existed either, despite the Belbens being a Dorset family)
>>

>According to streetmap.co.uk, there's also a very small village near
>Bradford.

I went, What? and checked.
Streetmap shows it just South of the road between Bingley and Harden. I
don't drive that regularly, but I've been down it several times, and I
think I would have noticed a sign to St Ives (though I might be wrong).
The OS Street Atlas of W Yorkshire marks 'St Ives Est[ate]' on a
crossroad North of that road.  It appears to be on private or unmade
roads, in the middle of a golf course labelled "Bingley (St Ives)
Municipal Golf Course".
I feel fairly safe in saying that St Ives is not a village near
Bradford, but a name that has been applied to a golf course and an
estate - rather a different thing. (There are a couple of roads with St
Ives in their name, too).

Incidentally, the two best known St Ives's commemorate two different
saints, in fact saints of two different sexes.

Colin