DWJ F&H heroic ideal essay

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Apr 12 13:44:56 EDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) wrote:

|> Does anyone have any other scholarly articles/essays by or about DWJ?
|> I am
|> collecting material for my master's thesis which is on four works of
|> DWJ.  I
|> already have the Heroic Ideal article - any others would be great!
|
|Hi Rene!
|
|Have you encountered "Diana Wynne Jones: An Exciting and Exacting
|Wisdom"?  It's a collection of essays about DWJ.  Someone on this list
|edited it, I think (Deborah?), and should be able to tell you if it's in
|print and/or how to obtain a copy.  If it's no longer available, you are
|welcome to borrow mine.

I didn't edit it, but both Charlie and I are in it (me with an essay,
and Charlie with an interview with DWJ).

Maria Nikolajeva has an article where she talks about DWJ.  Both the
book and this article have information at
http://www.suberic.net/dwj/bibliography.html#about

Let's see what else.  DWJ wrote an article about adult vs. children's
fiction which I have online (with permission, even).  She also has an
essay called "The Shape of the Narrative in the Lord of the Rings" which
is in Everard's Ride.  She's written several book reviews, as well.  The
information for all of these, and the link to the article about adult
and children's fiction, are available at
http://www.suberic.net/dwj/bibliography.html#nf

What else?  I really should add all these to the web page.  In my thesis
(which is online at http://www.suberic.net/dwj/thesis.txt , but a much
more professional if shorter version is in the book and I'd recommend
reading that instead if you read any of it) I list a few things in my
bibliography:

Rahn, Suzanne. "Vaccine for Future Shock: Diana Wynne Jones", in
 Rediscoveries in Children's Literature.  New York: Garland, 1995.
Stephens, John. Language and Ideology in Children's Fiction. New York:
 Longman, 1992.

Both of those talk about DWJ.  I think there's a few more.  Do you have
access to an online database such as Academic Search Premiere?  Because
you should be able to find a couple more if you can do a search.  If you
don't have access to a database like that, I'll do the search for you
and get you a few citations.

-deborah
--
I deeply resent the way this administration makes me feel like a
nutbar conspiracy theorist.