OT: ghostly recommendations request

Chris R sfa_ok2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 18:20:37 EDT 2005

Hi, everyone.

It's the height of rudeness to delurk with an OT post,
but I need help.

My officemate is going on a long plane trip, and wants
me to recommend her a nice, scary book. But she wants
it 'old-fashioned' (a modern pastiche of gothic novels
might fit the bill) and without vampires - she hates
Anne Rice - or werewolves. Ghosts would be a plus.
I've realised that every scary book I own (all five of
them) involves vampires, though none of them is
anything like Anne Rice. Horror isn't my favourite
genre, so I'm having trouble thinking of something.

Any thoughts?

Chris