jogging the list memory

Roslyn rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Fri Apr 8 11:43:08 EDT 2005

> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:
>
>>   Yes,  of course. I gave the truncated version for reasons of laziness.
>> :-)
>> We usually sing it, which is a disaster, because no one can agree upon
>> which
>> of several traditional tunes is OUR traditional tune, and at least one of
>> the tunes only fits the words every other verse...
>>
>>   Hmm. You've done something to the font to make it go all pink and
>> funky.
>
> There's multiple tunes?  Gee, I've only ever heard one.  Now I'm really
> curious!
>
> ---Kyra

There are multiple tunes to just about anything that can be sung in the
Haggadah. My family once invited to the seder of an Orthodox (Lubavicher)
rabbi's family, and the singing went on for hours and hours, because any
time we sang something, he would ask if anyone knew any other tunes to it
(there were many other people there as well) and nearly all of the
songs/prayers had at least a few possible melodies, most of which were
totally new to us.

Ros