jogging the list memory

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Apr 6 13:31:56 EDT 2005

Robyn asked...

> What I want to know is, can you think of any other rhymes (possibly
> nursery rhymes) with that "in the orchard there was a hall; in the hall
> there was a bed" repetitive structure? I read something that suggested
> "The House that Jack Built," and I was hoping for some more (possibly
> better) examples.

The structure brought to mind for me an Irish folksong (very popular with
children on long journeys): "The Bog Down in the Valley".  The words are
online at http://www.thebards.net/music/lyrics/Bog_Down_In_The_Valley.shtml
(it's longish, so I'm not going to post it here).  A similar one is "The
Tractor Factory Song", which you can find at
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~christi/misc/tractor-factory-song.txt
(though the varieties of factory, tractor, engine, etc. are a bit dull to my
way of thinking; we always have lengthy and gloriously communist varieties
of the various elements).

HTH

Dorian.