word order (was Re: Random DWJ discovery of the day)

Ian Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Wed Apr 6 12:47:10 EDT 2005

On Apr 6, 2005, at 8:18 AM, Belben, Philip ((Energy Wholesale)) wrote:

> PS a thought that only now occurred to me:  there are prescriptive
> rules
> in music that are often taught in harmony or counterpoint classes.  In
> the late 19th century these got so silly that it was often _taught_
> that
> Bach was not a good writer of fugues, because he seldom if ever kept to
> the rules.  Such nonsense is no longer perpetrated, thankfully, but the
> rules about harmony are taking longer to die.  FWIW Bach broke those
> too
> more often than you might think.

I once had a harmony teacher chastise me for writing parallel fourths
or doubling the wrong part of a triad and I quipped, "But Bach did it!"

She looked over her glasses at me and said, "But you're not Bach, now
are you."

hee hee

widdy

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power.
Abraham Lincoln

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net