word order (was Re: Random DWJ discovery of the day)

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 6 12:01:57 EDT 2005

Okay.

Speaking as someone whose daily job it is to deal with people who are
completely unaware of prescriptive language, and whose useage is
entirely descriptive, I have to say, the idea that seems to be
underlying the glorification of the descriptive is flawed. I also
apologise, Philip, for misreading your post, but you didn't make it
clear at the beginning that you were talking about personal choice in
the face of an understanding of usage. As someone who is dialect
displaced, and who was also brought up, like deborah, by a pedantic
asshat, my personal (descriptive) English is almost identical to
prescriptive. I don't see that there has to be a difference between the
two, and I will certainly go to the wall arguing against a number of
descriptive usages which may be popular but I would hate to see evolve
into "correct".

Also, one person's descriptive English is another person's I have no
idea what you are talking about. I find often when I read students'
writing that although they are expressing themselves, as they would
think, naturally, it isn't actually possible for a person who reads
their language to understand what they are saying. The same is true of
spoken language, but in that case, I have the opportunity to say "can
you elaborate on that" or otherwise ask for clarification.

robyn