jogging the list memory

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Apr 6 08:00:21 EDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> Finally, one of the traditional songs from the Passover Haggadah comes to
> mind, an ancient Aramaic rhyme called "One Kid" ("Had Gadiyya"), which is
> supposed to be a metaphor for the trials and tribulations of the Jewish
> people.

Maybe it's the time of year, but that was the first thing that came to my
mind, too!  Then I was also thinking of Daiyenu - I tried to look up the
lyrics on the web, but they're surprisingly hard to find a good English
translation of.  And I don't know where my family keeps the Haggadahs!
But, anyway, Daiyenu is another traditional Passover song - it means "it
would have been enough," and the structure of the song is basically that
each verse goes - "If God had done X for us, and not done Y, daiyenu."
Then the chorus is "daiyenu."  And each verse follows on from the last
one, so that if the first verse is "if God had done X for us, and not done
Y, daiyenu," then the next verse will be, "if God had done Y for us, and
not done Z, daiyenu."  It more-or-less recites the whole Passover story
this way, and it's very long, so we normally only sing three verses of it
in my family (the seder is long enough already), but it's definitely a
repetitive structure!

						---Kyra

---
"All power corrupts, but we need electricity."
				---Diana Wynne Jones, _Archer's Goon_