jogging the list memory

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Apr 6 06:44:14 EDT 2005

Robyn:

>  > What I want to know is, can you think of any other rhymes (possibly
>>  nursery rhymes) with that "in the orchard there was a hall; in the
>>  hall
>>  there was a bed" repetitive structure? I read something that suggested
>>  "The House that Jack Built," and I was hoping for some more (possibly
>  > better) examples.

Not a rhyme, but all the ones I can think of have been mentioned
already, and this has the repetitive structure as well.  From _The
Perilous Gard_ :

Kate was beginning to feel as though she were caught in a nightmare
version of the old question-and-answer story:  What happened while I
was away, Tom?  The dog died, master.  How did the dog die, Tom?
When your home burned down, master.  How did my home catch on fire,
Tom?  One of the candles at your wife's funeral, master -

Hallie