jogging the list memory

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Apr 6 06:17:16 EDT 2005

Robyn wrote:
> What I want to know is, can you think of any other rhymes (possibly
> nursery rhymes) with that "in the orchard there was a hall;
> in the hall there was a bed" repetitive structure?

There's one that I know from a picture book, so a) I don't know if it's traditional or not, (although I think it may be) and b) I can't remember it perfectly, as I can many nursery rhymes (I can see the pictures of a couple of children running around an Italian-style city very well, though!)

This is the key to the kingdom; of the kingdom this is the key.
In that kingdom was a city; in that city was a street; in that street there was a lane; in that lane a winding road; in that road there stood a house; in that house there was a room;

I think there may have been a garden as well, and I can't remember what was in the room! (although I'm sure it wasn't a ghost or other scary surprise, it wasn't that kind of picture book.)
Possibly there was a box, and in that box there was a key.

Jennifer