jogging the list memory

Juliette Curtis juliette at harvestroad.com
Wed Apr 6 04:16:33 EDT 2005

Well, if we are talking about cumulative songs, I know a beauty!

The poor old man he was crossing the road,
Crossing the road, crossing the road.
The poor old man he was crossing the road,
And along came a man with a wheelbarrow.
Oooooooooooooooooooohhhhh
Don't let the wheel of your wheelbarrow,
Your wheelbarrow, your wheelbarrow,
Don't let the wheel of your wheelbarrow
Run over that poo-oor old man.

I won't inflict the whole thing on you. With each verse, the wheelbarrow
becomes more and more complicated, as follows

Wheelbarrow-fish-and-chip-potato-cart
Wheelbarrow-fish-and-chip-potato-cart-trolley-bus-wire-wiper
Wheelbarrow-fish-and-chip-potato-cart-trolley-bus-wire-wiper-lorry-what-sucks-dirty-water-out-of-holes
Wheelbarrow-fish-and-chip-potato-cart-trolley-bus-wire-wiper-lorry-what-sucks-dirty-water-out-of-holes-combine-harvester-with-built-in-bailing-attachment

It takes ages to sing it. I often sing it to my four-year old son,
despite his cries of "No no!" when I get to the
"Oooooooooooooooooooooohhhh".

Now he is beginning to sing it back to me, so I may come to regret
singing it to him. Or I might just join in and enjoy it.

Juliette