jogging the list memory

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Wed Apr 6 03:48:53 EDT 2005

Kathleen wrote:

A dog came into the kitchen
And stole an egg from the cook.
The cook took a spoon
And struck the dog in two
Then many dogs came
And gathered around his grave
And set up a memorial
Upon which was written:
"A dog came into the kitchen..."

I'm not sure this is quite the same: this is cyclical, as opposed to a long
string. Though, granted, sometimes the strings end up being cyclical too.
But for what it's worth: the rhyme you quoted above is well known in several
language though the origin is probably German. There's a tune that goes with
the words, and it is sung in Beckett's "Waiting for Godot".

I've since thought of counting songs, too, like "On the First Day of
Christmas" or the counting song in the Haggada "Who knows one". And other
cumulative songs, like "She'll be Coming Round the Mountain"...