jogging the list memory

Kathleen Jennings kathleen.jennings at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 02:27:52 EDT 2005

This one is very long (and satisfying to recite quickly), but it bears
a very strong resemblance to the "one kid" rhyme Gili posted.

Here goes (deep breath):

A little old woman went to market and bought a piggy. She wanted to
get home in time for dinner, but when they came to a stile the piggy
sat down and wouldn't move.
"Piggy, piggy, jump over stile," said the little old woman, "I want to
get home for dinner."
But the piggy didn't budge.

So the little old lady looked around and saw a stick.
"Stick, stick, beat pig," she said, "piggy won't jump over the stile
and I won't get home for dinner".
But the stick wouldn't.

So she went a little farther and found a fire.
"Fire, fire, burn stick,
Stick won't beat pig,
Pig won't jump over stile
And I won't get home for dinner".
But the stick wouldn't.

So she went a little farther and she found a river.
"River, river, quench fire,
Fire won't burn stick,
Stick won't beat pig,
Pig won't jump over stile
And I won't get home for dinner".
But the river wouldn't.

So she went a little farther and she found an ox.
"Ox, ox, drink river,
River won't quench fire, etc".
But the ox wouldn't.

So she went a little further and she found a butcher.
"Butcher, butcher, kill ox,
Ox won't drink river, etc."
But the butcher wouldn't.

So she went a little further and she found a rope.
"Rope, rope, hang butcher,
Butcher won't kill ox,
Ox won't drink river, etc."
But the rope wouldn't.

So she went a little further and she found a rat.
"Rat, rat, gnaw rope,
Rope won't hang butcher, etc."
But the rat wouldn't.

So she went a little further and she found a cat.
"Cat, cat, chase rat,
Rat won't gnaw rope, etc."
And the cat said,
"If you get me a saucer of milk, I will."

So she went a little further and she found a cow.
"Cow," she asked, "Will you give me some milk?"
And the cow said,
"If you give me some grass, I will."

So the little old lady gathered some grass and gave it to the cow, and
the cow gave her a saucer of milk and she took it to the cat and the
cat drank it.

THEN

The cat began to chase the rat
The rat began to gnaw the rope
The rope began to hang the butcher
The butcher began to kill the ox
The ox began to drink the water
The water began to quench the fire
The fire began to burn the stick
The stick began to beat the pig,
The piggy jumped over the stile
And the little old lady got home in time for dinner.