jogging the list memory

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Wed Apr 6 01:58:04 EDT 2005

While not traditional, one of my favorite poems by Elizabeth Bishop is in
this form, "A Visit to St. Elizabeth's":

http://www.poetryconnection.net/poets/Elizabeth_Bishop/68

And then there's "Where have all the Flowers Gone":

http://www.arlo.net/lyrics/flowers-gone.shtml

Finally, one of the traditional songs from the Passover Haggadah comes to
mind, an ancient Aramaic rhyme called "One Kid" ("Had Gadiyya"), which is
supposed to be a metaphor for the trials and tribulations of the Jewish
people.

The words, roughly, go:

One Kid, one kid, that father bought for two zuzim    (an ancient coin of
very low denomination)
Cat came and ate the kid
Dog came and bit the cat
Stick came and beat the dog
Fire came and burnt the stick
Water came and quenched the fire
Ox came and drank the water
Butcher came and slaughtered the ox
Angel of death came and killed the butcher
The holy one blessed be his name came and destroyed the angel of death.
One kid, one kid.

(If you ask me, the cat and dog got off cheap.)