word order (was Re: Random DWJ discovery of the day

deborah deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Wed Apr 6 01:02:58 EDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Judith Ridge wrote:
|Thanks for passing on your friend's reply--but I'm still pondering what it
|means that you were the "best chick for a doctoral student"!

What a lovely example of how English -- all the Englishes, include the
dialect called Standard English being argued about elsewhere in this
thread -- is fluid and can accept new words, which nonetheless can't
enter the language unless everyone can pick them up from context.  :)

I was the groom's main attendant in my friend's wedding.  English
doesn't have a good word for that.  'Best Chick' was my friend's term,
which I tend to use, if only because 'Best Man' implies some amount of
gender-bending which, while totally in character for me, I didn't happen
to do in my role as groom's attendant.  Since it's in character for me,
hence possible confusion if I use the term, hence I don't use the term.

-deborah,
who loves English, the language that sleeps around and is all the more
fun for it.