jogging the list memory

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Apr 5 22:46:43 EDT 2005

--- Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have a request for information and am sure your
> excellent wisdoms can
> provide it. I am doing some work on the Corpus
> Christi Carol. Slightly
> modernised text herewith:
>
> Lully, lully, lully, lully,
>    The faucon hath born my make away.
>(snip)
>> And by that bede side there standeth a stone,
> "Corpus Christi" wreten there on.
>
> It may be familiar as "Down in Yon Forest", or in
> the Jeff Buckley version.
>
> What I want to know is, can you think of any other
> rhymes (possibly
> nursery rhymes) with that "in the orchard there was
> a hall; in the hall
> there was a bed" repetitive structure? I read
> something that suggested
> "The House that Jack Built," and I was hoping for
> some more (possibly
> better) examples.

After reading your post I've been racking my brains
for an example I heard not long ago. Finally remember
it was in the film "the Wicker Man", and then tracked
down the lyrics, so if you want a pagan example
(composed for the film so not trad. )

Maypole - The Schoolboys

In the woods there grew a tree
And a fine, fine tree was he!

And on that tree, there was a limb
And on that limb, there was a branch
And on that branch, there was a nest
And in that nest, there was an egg
And in that egg, there was a bird
And from that bird, a feather came
And on that feather was
A bed.

And on that bed, there was a girl
And on that girl, there was a man
And from that man, there was a seed
And from that seed, there was a boy
And from that boy, there was a man
And for that man, there was a grave
And on that grave there grew
A tree.

from here
http://anti-state.com/forum/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=7827

Or there's this one....

In a Dark Dark Wood

In a dark, dark wood there was a dark, dark house;
And in the dark, dark house there was a dark, dark room;
And in the dark, dark room there was a dark, dark cupboard;
And in the dark, dark cupboard there was a dark, dark shelf;
And on the dark, dark shelf there was a dark, dark box; And in the dark,
dark box there was a....ghost!
In a dark, dark wood there was a dark, dark house;
And in the dark, dark house there was a dark, dark room;
And in the dark, dark room there was a dark, dark cupboard;
And in the dark, dark cupboard there was a dark, dark shelf;
And on the dark, dark shelf there was a dark, dark box; And in the dark,
dark box there was a....mouse!

In a dark, dark wood there was a dark, dark house;
And in the dark, dark house there was a dark, dark room;
And in the dark, dark room there was a dark, dark cupboard;
And in the dark, dark cupboard there was a dark, dark shelf;
And on the dark, dark shelf there was a dark, dark box; And in the dark,
dark box there was a....elephant!

In a dark, dark wood there was a dark, dark house;
And in the dark, dark house there was a dark, dark room;
And in the dark, dark room there was a dark, dark cupboard;
And in the dark, dark cupboard there was a dark, dark shelf;
And on the dark, dark shelf there was a dark, dark box; And in the dark,
dark box there was a....skeleton!

In a dark, dark wood there was a dark, dark house;
And in the dark, dark house there was a dark, dark room;
And in the dark, dark room there was a dark, dark cupboard;
And in the dark, dark cupboard there was a dark, dark shelf;
And on the dark, dark shelf there was a dark, dark box; And in the dark,
dark box there was a....nothing!

Regards
Elizabeth.