jogging the list memory

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 5 20:26:25 EDT 2005

Hi All

I have a request for information and am sure your excellent wisdoms can
provide it. I am doing some work on the Corpus Christi Carol. Slightly
modernised text herewith:

Lully, lully, lully, lully,
   The faucon hath born my make away.

He bare him up, he bare him down,
He bare him into an orcahrd brown.

In that orchard there was an halle,
That was hanged with purpill and pall.

And in that hall there was a bede,
It was hanged with gold so rede.

And in that bed there lithe a knight
His woundes bleding day and night.

By that bede side kneleth a may,
And she wepeth both night and day.

And by that bede side there standeth a stone,
"Corpus Christi" wreten there on.

It may be familiar as "Down in Yon Forest", or in the Jeff Buckley version.

What I want to know is, can you think of any other rhymes (possibly
nursery rhymes) with that "in the orchard there was a hall; in the hall
there was a bed" repetitive structure? I read something that suggested
"The House that Jack Built," and I was hoping for some more (possibly
better) examples.

Robyn