word order in English

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Fri Apr 1 13:03:35 EST 2005

        Ah yes. When I was a practising librarian, I had a client ask me for
books by F-ScottFitz Gerald.  Once we got past that one, I asked which book he
wanted? The Night Tender, he replied.
     Of course I knew which one he meant, but tried to explain that in
English, the way he had said it, would mean 'the person who tends in the night',
whereupon the patron responded that in Russian, they all meant the same thing. I
guess that they use declensions or whatever to indicate which is the subject,
etc.
     Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com