looking for different songs (not at all on topic, really)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 30 21:50:34 EDT 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC) wrote:

> > Maybe the version I heard in the early seventies and cruelly
> > shared involved Al Capone rather than Roy Rogers because the song
> > itself had changed, from "Pardon me boy" (racist, perhaps) to
> > "Pardon me pal".
> >
> > Oh well.  Not having any book of Irving Gordon lyrics (nor yet any
> > Glenn Miller album) in the house, I can't easily check on that
> > possibility. Anyone feel like googling on the off-chance?
>
> Not googled, but from personal experience - the original song lyric
> is "Pardon me boys".  Plural becuase there was two of them.  The
> Nicholas Brothers in fact, being sung to by Dorothy Dandridge.

I don't think that can be right, unless the lyrics have been more
substantially changed than is generally recognised. The standard
version of the lyrics are quite clearly written for a male singer.
(And for a single boy, for that matter: "Boys, you can give me a
shine" doesn't really work.)

Not dissing your personal experience, but it occurs to me that just
because "Chattanooga Choo Choo" first appeared in 'Sun Valley
Serenade', doesn't necessarily mean that the version sung in 'Sun
Valley Serenade' is the original version.

> I met Fayard Nicholas last month and he said that Glen Miller hated
> that song when he first heard it.

I always knew Glen Miller was a man of good taste...  :)

> Way off topic now :)

Yes, and?  :)

Paul
--