OT: barbershop arrangements + PS on zois

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 29 21:35:45 EDT 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Beck Laxton wrote:

> Paul Andinach:
>
> > Is it difficult, doing barbershop arrangements? I have a song
> > running around in my head that seems made for a barbershop
> > arrangement ("...with our glasses raised on high (raaaaaised on
> > hiiiiigh)..."), but I don't know the rules.
>
> Paul, is that the Tom Lehrer song? 'Bright College Days'?

The very one.

(I hadn't realised that line was so distinctive. I quoted it because
it's the bit that always makes me think barbershop, not because I was
expecting anyone to recognise it.)

> Something like 'Bright college days/Oh happy days that fly/To thee
> we drink/With our glasses raised on high.

'Too Many Songs by Tom Lehrer' (the Tom Lehrer songbook) has a note to
the effect that at this point, in live performances, Lehrer would
always raise his eyeglasses above his head - which makes me wonder
what else I'm missing by having never seen him live...

> I sang in a five - or it might have been four or six part - group
> that did its own arrangement, which I will still have somewhere.
> Should be transposable to barbershop pitch if you have an all-male
> group. I'll have a look.

> On the other hand, trying to get my paper copy to you in some form
> might be harder than writing your own arrangement...

You needn't go to any trouble: this is all, on my part, just idle
speculation about fun things to do in my Copious Free Time[1].

It's not as if I even know any barbershop groups who could sing it,
even if I did get around to doing an arrangement.

----
[1] http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/C/copious-free-time.html
    - which notes that the expression was coined by Tom Lehrer.
    Three cheers for the fundamental interconnectedness of all things!

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."