OT: barbershop arrangements + PS on zois

Beck Laxton blaxton at zentropypartners.com
Wed Sep 29 09:57:30 EDT 2004

Paul Andinach:

> Is it difficult, doing barbershop arrangements? I have a song running
> around in my head that seems made for a barbershop arrangement
> ("...with our glasses raised on high (raaaaaised on hiiiiigh)..."),
> but I don't know the rules.

Paul, is that the Tom Lehrer song? 'Bright College Days'? I sang in a five -
or it might have been four or six part - group that did its own arrangement,
which I will still have somewhere. Should be transposable to barbershop
pitch if you have an all-male group. I'll have a look.

Something like 'Bright college days/Oh happy days that fly/To thee we
drink/With our glasses raised on high.
Let's drink a toast/As each of us recalls/Ivy-covered professors/In
ivy-covered halls.'

On the other hand, trying to get my paper copy to you in some form might be
harder than writing your own arrangement...

Btw, I didn't have anything further to contribute to the discussion on zois,
whoever asked: all I remembered was that remark from way, waaaaay back.

Beck