AW: Nine Ferrets in a Bottle

Belben Philip Philip.Belben at eon-engineering.com
Mon Sep 27 04:05:49 EDT 2004

On Friday I said:

> But this weekend I WILL write a tune for this song.  I am DETERMINED.
> (Picture the Duke of Caprona saying "Resolute.  I mean thank you")

Oh dear.  Oh, no!.  Oh my, oh my.  What did I let myself in for?

I wrote the tune on Saturday morning.  That was the easy bit.

I then spent the rest of the weekend singing "Niiiiiiiiine ferrets in a
Booooottlllllle, and they wuz liiiiivin' in sin."  I managed to avoid doing
this out loud while I was at church, though.  But it was quite an effort...

Anyway, the tune is written, and the piano accompaniment.  If people are
interested, I can do a neat copy and scan it.  (I don't have any music
software - I'm a bit like Quentin Sykes in this respect).  Or I might do a
barbershop arrangement...

Or if all people want is the melody and chord symbols, I can try and post it
here as text...

Anyone doing additional verses (about the bans and things), please make them
fit my tune!  For example:

I had a bottle of ferrets,
But I don't know how they got in.
The neck was too small for a ferret,
And I wouldn't know how to begin!

Every ferret was male!
Every ferret was tail!
Nine ferrets in a bottle
But who knows how they got in?

Philip.

PS I've not heard this use of the word "tail" before.  Is it a standard term
in the Gay community?  To me it conjures up images of the ferrets using
their tails in all sorts of ways that I wouldn't want to discuss on a public
list...