nine ferrets in a bottle

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Fri Sep 24 01:16:00 EDT 2004

On Thursday, September 23, 2004, at 09:45  PM, Paul Andinach wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Otter Perry wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, September 23, 2004, at 07:59 AM, Paul Andinach wrote:
>
>>> Not unless what you mean by 'Greensleeves' is quite different from
>>> what I mean by 'Greensleeves'. (Or you go twice through the verse
>>> without going to the refrain, I suppose.)
>>
>> Well, you start out with the part that goes to the words "Alas my
>> love you do me wrong".
>
> With you so far...
>

>> "But what these unobservant birds" goes to the part that goes
>> "Greensleeves was all my joy".  Etc.
>
> No it doesn't - that's precisely what I was complaining about.

You have to fudge it a little bit.

Make "but" a pickup, "what" goes with "green", "un" goes with "sleeves"
- so instead of long-long, you have short long-short long.

did that make any sense at all. If we were all together, we could just
sing it and show you what we mean.

ah well.

widdy

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the
suppression of ideas.
Carl Sagan

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net