OT: 2 off-topic requests for book ideas

Wed Sep 22 09:44:17 EDT 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:58:54 -0400 (EDT), deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

>Requestor 2 asks 'can you think of any middle grade or YA books about
>cutting (either with razorblades or with anything else) or about other
>self-injury methods that are used as an emotional coping mechanism?'

I didn't think of this at first because it isn't really *about*
self-mutilation, but Louise Plummer's _A Dance For Three_ has a protagonist
whose mental breakdown involves cutting herself repeatedly because her life
is too much to deal with any more.  It's a single event that represents the
crisis point of the plot, and my memory is that she's so far gone she
dissociates herself from the injuries for weeks.  It was very effective.

Melissa Proffitt